MEMS microphones have several advantages over traditional microphones.Despite their small size–and sometimes because of it!–MEMS Microphones have POWERFUL advantages.
For example, MEMS microphones utilize a charge pump to produce a constant charge on the diaphragm, resulting in better isolation of the acoustic signal from power supply noise and are not prone to charge decay over time or to sensitivity shifts due to supply voltage changes.
MEMS microphones can recover from moisture condensation since the charge on the diaphragm is renewed by the charge pump once the condensation dries.
They are also less susceptible to vibration and dust because of the construction and smaller diaphragm mass.
The ability to withstand standard lead-free solder profiles (Max Temp 260C for 30s) without impacting performance. Superior temperature performance as sensitivity does not shift with change in temperature (-40⁰C ~ +100⁰C).
Better overall repeatability due to the automated manufacturing process. Multiple mounting options such as top mount, reverse mount or zero height. Custom configurations and mounting options available for seamless integration into the end application.
Here are some of the greatest advantages, however, and how they might impact you or your product development.
- Size Matters: MEMS microphones are incredibly compact, making them suitable for applications where space is limited. They are commonly used in smartphones, tablets, and wearable devices, where miniaturization is critical.
- Power Efficiency: These microphones consume minimal power, which is crucial for portable devices with limited battery capacity. This ensures extended battery life for your gadgets.
- High-Quality Sound: Despite their small size, MEMS microphones offer impressive audio quality, with excellent sensitivity and signal-to-noise ratios. This makes them ideal for capturing crisp and clear sound.
- Durability: MEMS microphones are rugged and less prone to damage from mechanical shock or vibration, making them suitable for harsh environments and industrial applications.
MEMS Microphones are used across industries to solve problems and enhance applications. You can find MEMS technology being used in everything from consumer electronics to health care.
- Consumer Electronics: MEMS microphones have become the go-to choice for smartphones, tablets, and laptops, enabling clear voice calls, noise cancellation, and voice recognition features like Siri and Google Assistant.
- Automotive: In the automotive industry, MEMS microphones are used for hands-free calling, in-car entertainment systems, and noise reduction technologies, enhancing the overall driving experience.
- Industrial: MEMS microphones find applications in industrial settings, such as monitoring equipment, intercom systems, and security systems, thanks to their durability and reliability.
- Health care: In health care, MEMS microphones are employed in hearing aids and medical devices for precise audio detection and recording.
Curious to learn more about MEMS technology? Check out our recent whitepaper on the subject located HERE in our Resource Center or reach out to discuss with one of our engineers. We are always eager to work with our clients to develop the solutions they need to be heard within their industry!